Den Tilsandede Kirke, the buried church of Skagen
Attraction

Den Tilsandede Kirke, the buried church of Skagen

Den Tilsandede Kirke,Danimarca

Den Tilsandede Kirke, the buried church of Skagen

Den Tilsandede Kirke also known as "The Buried Church" was a large parish church dedicated to St. Lawrence, an abandoned building dating back to the second half of the 14th century located near the city center of Skagen, Denmark. Only the bell tower remains visible as the church has been buried by sand. It is a solitary white tower that is still used today as a reference point for navigation. It remains a place of great charm, where many of its impressive treasures are still hidden under the surface of the ground.



The sanded-in church is one of the oldest and largest religious buildings in the North Jutland region, a church that for over 400 years was able to gather large numbers of worshipers before drifting sand invaded the area . The church was almost completely covered by 1795 making it necessary to interrupt day to day functions leading to the church being definitively closed by royal decree. Until today, no one has ever tried to bring the precious remains to light and everything remains buried and without any answers, making this place one of the most evocative and seductive destinations in the entire Danish landscape.



Den Tilsandede Kirke is exactly 3 miles from Skagen and can be easily reached by car. Just 400 meters from the tower there is a large free car park and a playground, complete with tables, benches and toilets. The bell tower can be visited and is freely accessible, but often, due to some renovation works, the church remains closed. It is advisable to check the access times to the monument in advance on the Den Tilsandede Kirke website.

"The photos on this site are owned by users or purchased from image banks"

#church