Torre Scola, also known as the Tower of San Giovanni Battista, is a military building located just in the middle of the Gulf of Poets in Liguria, Italy. This tower was built by the people of Genoa in 1606 on a rock just north of the island of Palmaria in Porto Venere in the Province of La Spezia – a land known for its natural beauty.
Torre Scola rests on a pentagonal base, built with large blocks of square stone with walls which average 4 meters in thickness. Every corner of the fort is topped with a turret, and an observational opening for the 10 canons which were meant to protect the fortress at sea. The fort could easily accomodate 8 soldiers. The tower was destroyed in 1800 during naval battles between the British and the French fleets that tried to drive Napoleon’s troops out of the gulf. Since then, the tower was completely abandoned.
In 1915, after threat of demolition, the fortress was turned into a beacon and between 1976 and 1980, it was radically restored and today continues to impress visitors with its impressive and extraordinary beauty.